Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameWorking at Home
Topic subjectRE: stay at home work?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=101&topic_id=749&mesg_id=850
850, RE: stay at home work?
Posted by AdHocGroup, Fri Jul-25-14 09:17 AM
>I am a mother of two young children. I recently got laid off.
>I am broke now and looking for work. I would love to be home
>with my kids thou. Does anyone know of anything I can do with
>little or no start up cost? I need something legit no scams
>been there done that. I do have a Pitt bull otherwise I would
>babysit. Anything would help. Thanks

I've worked from home since 1977 doing all sorts of work, and here is one of the things I've learned.

Make two lists. The first is a list of every skill you have from knitting and baking to writing and designing, to anything you can do well. Keep in mind that EVERYTHING is marketable, even washing dishes.

Make a second list of anything you've ever wanted - or heard someone mention - that is NOT available locally (for a local business) or not available on the Internet as you would want it. Then match up your skills with what isn't available, and build your business idea from there.

Another thing I've learned is how to start a business on a shoestring and not go into debt. Many businesses can be started using the office equipment you already have (computer, printer, phone.) My other stipulation is to not be dependent solely upon a single source for my business (such as an agent or sales rep for a single company as they hold all the strings.)

Visit our idea webpage at http://www.adhocgroup.net/AHG/WFH.html for an extensive list of business ideas. It should at least get you thinking.

To give you an idea how the list could help you, I had a woman taking two of my adult ed classes. One on working from home and one on genealogy. She had no idea what she wanted to do for a business, but she brought a beautiful handmade quilt made up of patches that represented her genealogy to show off in the genealogy class. She was so surprised when I told her that she was actually displaying a great business idea, as she'd never put the two together. We looked up custom-made quilts and they were selling for a very nice price - $250-$800. All she had to do was to organize how she would run the business and start promoting it.

Also, if you can write well, the opportunities are endless.

Best Wishes,
Michele