Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameWorking at Home
Topic subjectDo any of you sell or want to sell baked goods....
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=101&topic_id=333&mesg_id=333
333, Do any of you sell or want to sell baked goods....
Posted by pastrydreams, Mon Apr-28-08 12:33 PM
Well, if you do already sell baked goods maybe you can help me or if you are wanting to sell baked goods maybe we can help each other. First of all, let me just say that I love to bake. I'm never so happy as when I'm baking. Not to brag, but I know this is my talent. People are always telling me I need to open a bakery & that is what I want to do. I have worked real hard & finally saved up $20k. I would love to just quit my job right now & attempt to go ahead & open up but am not sure if this will be enough. Has anyone else opened a small bakery?? Is it doable w/$20k? If not, I will hang in there & save more. But if I do need to wait I want to, at the very least, start selling baked goods from home. Is this legal(I live in KY)?

And... Can anyone recommend I good place to get low priced bakery supplies? from the high price items (oven, refrigerators) to the ingredients (primarily- flour, sugar, milk, butter, oil) to packaging & labeling. I have a Hubert Restaurant supply catalog & it is very expensive. Surely there is a less expensive way. Is there a website you can recommend? E-bay? some secret that experienced bakers know?

Some ways I thought I could promote my baked goods by selling from home are:
1. Putting my baked goods in charity auctions- people would be able to get ordering info off the label
2. Word of mouth
3. Newspaper Ads
4. Checking around at local restaurants to see if any would agree to carry my products

I thought about going to some local bakeries & asking to volunteer in exchange for advice & training but had some people talk me out of that, saying it would be tacky & all.

Your thoughts, ideas, & friendship are valued & welcome with me.