Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameWorking at Home
Topic subjectBill Collector Co.
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=101&topic_id=190
190, Bill Collector Co.
Posted by HuNNiBuMP, Mon Aug-20-07 02:17 AM
I am in the beginning stages of starting my Bill Collector's Company which I will do 'in-house' but from home. If anyone has any experience in this field, please tell me your thoughts, good and bad. I do not have an accounting degree or collections experience. My background is 3 years preparing tax returns and 8 years Real Estate Sales and 3 years mortgages. I am 36 and feel like the clock is ticking and need to do something really fast. I thought I would have started my business 10 years ago, now I'm playing catch up, but I know I have to be very patient. :-)
191, RE: Bill Collector Co.
Posted by rachelmartinez, Mon Aug-20-07 03:12 AM
I'm not sure how much research you've already done, so if you already know this please forgive.

Collections agencies / services are HIGHLY regulated both by federal and state laws. If you haven't already you will want to look up:

The Fair debt Collection Practices Act
Fair Credit Reporting Act
Collection Agency Regulations for your state

These are just the ones I know about as a consumer. I'm sure this is doable, but you don't want to open yourself to any liability for not following the applicable laws.

rachel@knoxvillebookkeeper.com