Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameWorking at Home
Topic subjectNew Mom wants to start event planning business...advice please!
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=101&topic_id=147
147, New Mom wants to start event planning business...advice please!
Posted by wenmac24, Sun Jun-17-07 05:07 PM
I'm been looking into starting a home based party planning business. Does anyone have any advice to give in that area?
I'm a new Mom of a 5 month old and love being home with my baby but would like to start doing something on the side to generate some income. I love putting parties together, I planned my own wedding, have done baby showers, wedding showers and small events for friends (for free of course). My passion lies mostly in the decorating, favors etc.
What would be a good first approach to this especially since I have very little start up cash? Are there any good books on the subject that anyone could recommend? Any suggestions/advice would be helpful.
Thank you. :)
148, RE: New Mom wants to start event planning business...advice please!
Posted by findingdetails, Mon Jun-18-07 06:26 AM
Dear New Mom,

I have considered this idea myself. Being the mother of 3 and enjoying the planning side I thought it would be a good idea. Just keep in mind that if you are planning parties or events that you would probably have to be away from home during evenings and weekends when you events take place. If that works for you, then great, I say go for it! I weighed the pro's and con's and decided being away from home on nights and weekends was not in the cards for me at this time. But if you have a spouse or relative that can help you out I would utilize that your advantage.

If you are just focusing more on the decoration part of it, your time constraints may not be so lack luster. But remember if it is at a hall or a surprise you may only have a particular time frame for which to decorate.

Just some food for thought. Good luck!

Tam
;)
149, RE: New Mom wants to start event planning business...advice please!
Posted by wenmac24, Tue Jun-19-07 02:54 AM
Thank you for the tips. I did'nt think about the nights and weekends situation, even though my spouse would be able to help out. I do plan to invest in a good book on the business idea so I can see all the facets involved. I'm just doing some research before I decide if it's for me. Right now, my son is 4 months and is still breastfeeding only (he refuses a bottle/cup), so obviously I can't jump into anything until he realizes that food comes from other sources. :) Any advice on that, Mom of 3??? :)

Thanks again, Tam, your insights were very helpful.

Wendy
151, RE: New Mom wants to start event planning business...advice please!
Posted by findingdetails, Tue Jun-19-07 06:35 AM
Wendy,

Sorry, I did not breastfeed so I can't relate there. But each one of mine was different. My middle child was indeed my most demanding and up every 4-5 hours wanting to eat. Eventually they will fall into a more normal routine, and once he starts eating cereal he will be a lot fuller for a lot longer. It does get better. Until there mouths start going full force, then you long for them to be quiet little babies again!..........lol :-) .

Hopefully you can determine if this is the right route for you. If the nights and weekends don't work out I would consider something possibly related that would be more mom friendly. Finding the right one is the trick. I am still searching for my perfect idea, but I think I have it narrowed down.

Good luck!

Tam,
Mom of 3
;)