Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby The Daily Grind topic #57

Subject: "looking for help" Previous topic | Next topic
darlaFri Dec-15-06 09:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"looking for help"

Hello everyone
I just opened a dog day care center and If any one out there does the same thing I would love to know what you are doing. I am having a hard time getting new people. I have about 16 regular dogs that come weekley, but that is not paying the bills. I dont have enough money to have anyone help me out. Im working from 6:30-7:00 monday -friday with no help. I dont have time to go out and meet people and pass out buisness cards. I have found that my clients now are getting very comfortable with me( and thats great) but they are starting to take advantage of me. They dont pick there dogs up when they say they will. They ask to drop off earler than 6:30 and I am starting to feel alittle used. What do I do? I need to make money and I need to keep everyone happy. I am getting pulled from all different way. Is this normal or do I need to get a back bone? I love what I do, but I am working so hard and not making any money. oh and people are now asking for me to watch there dogs on saturdays. And that was fine I posted that I will open from 8-3 and still peolpe are not picking up untill 4:30 (what the heck I am to be closed) Is this normal. People dont go to the doctors and expect them to stay open later just for them! If anyone has any advice I would love to have it, good or bad.
Thanks all
Jacque

Follow your heart

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: looking for help
Dec 20th 2006
Dec 21st 2006
Jan 10th 2007
Jan 27th 2007
Jan 29th 2007
Feb 13th 2007
Mar 17th 2007
Mar 22nd 2007

wandaWed Dec-20-06 11:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: looking for help"
In response to Reply # 0

My suggestion would be to charge them extra to bring them in early and charge them extra when they are late. I don't have any experience with Dog day care but with regular daycare's they charge about $10 - $15 for every 15 minutes you are late. As far as dropping off early I would suggest only in emergency situations. No offense but you need to get that back bone you mentioned. (If you are anything like me it is easier said then done.)I think you open plenty early to meet the needs of your customers, but that is something you have to decide.
I am a little confused? Do you have a second job? If you close at 3pm what are you doing until 7pm? The only reason I ask is because you might want to join a few business groups.(like the Chamber of Commerce or Womens League) In my area we have several different types of business groups to join wich are a great opportunity to mingle with other local business persons and get your name out there.

trinkiesThu Dec-21-06 04:27 AM

#2. "RE: looking for help"
In response to Reply # 1

I agree with the other poster that if they are late than charge them non fur baby daycares do.

Also really figure out how much it would cost you to get help so that you could round up new business. Maybe a high school student could help a couple hours in the afternoons.

I'd have to also ask if you are charging enough for your services?

For new business you could also ask your existing customers to recommend you and tell them when someone new signs up that after the new person pays for their first week in full that you'll give the person that refered them 50% one week.

Best,

Tiffany

Ring a Bling Bling -Fashion jewelry for your cell phone. http://www.trinkies.com

CamWed Jan-10-07 10:53 AM

#3. "RE: looking for help"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello Jacque

It seems like people are viewing you too much as a friend and not respecting that you are running a business. I believe you should do as child day care providers do and charge hourly for being late after the designated time. For example, you could charge 10-15 dollars every hour after your agreed upon time. Also I would probably have contracts on file for each customer with the designated times and specifying that they will be charged for anytime after the agreed upon times. Always have things in writing.

I have a small business providing virtual administrative services so if you need assistance with running your business such as scheduling or contract assistance, send me an e-mail at cameodanone@hotmail.com

Sincerely,
Cameo
CameoDanone Virtual Assistance services
http://cameodanone.bravehost.com

wes1Sat Jan-27-07 08:55 AM

#4. "RE: looking for help"
In response to Reply # 3

to help you better advertise your business i would tell you to try and find out if there are any free seminars or confrences in your area, just a place where you can meet other business people, that is a sure fire way to making solid connections with people and handing out your business cards.

Spend no more than 15 minutes with each person (if its a big convention) and really get around the room. It all starts with being comfortable with yourself and being confident. From your post i kind of gather (and no offense here) that youre a very nice person but you let people take advantage of you. Thats just not right, you have to be solid with your hours and charge extra if people are going to be late.

Nothing wrong with being a bit ruthless and people will respect you for having a backbone. Hope that helps.

WES
***Get Paid To Market Your Business***. Don't spend money in advertising for your business if you don't have to. Whether your new at online marketing or a pro, see how your advertising can pay you.
http://flyinghigh1.payitforward4profits.com

BizConsultingMon Jan-29-07 04:52 AM

#5. "RE: looking for help"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with all the others. Charge more if you have to stay late or just board the dog over night and charge them for that service. As fo coming in early, you can always tell them "Sure we provide that service. That will be an additional charge of $____." Come up with some price that is worth your time to come in but at the same time might get them to think twice. If they complain tell them that you have to charge them for your time. What would they do if they were you? Ask them that question.

To answer your question on expanding your business. I would talk to some vetrinarians in your area. Ask them if you can post a flyer on their bulletin board or if you can leave flyers out at their office.

Suzanne
SHB Consulting, Inc.
www.newbiz-coaching.com

nightskyTue Feb-13-07 05:52 PM

#6. "RE: looking for help"
In response to Reply # 0

I did some work for a customer who owns a High-End dog kennel and day care. That place is so well run and is cleaner than many very nice hotels that I stay in when I travel.

I was very impressed with his operation and he makes a GREAT income doing what he does.

I would be creful to charge for this and that... but you also need to make sure that you are not being taken advantage of.

Many businesses get into trouble and can't hire the help they need because they believe that people buy things based on price. I learned a long time ago that it is easier to offer a better product/service when you charge more than when you don't

I would suggest raising your price enough to where you can hire extra help. Maybe you could start the day off in the morning and the hired help could come in for a few hours in the afternoon.If they are only working 3 or 4 hours a day... you shold be able to cover the cost with a small price hike. But... raise the price to the point where you can go above and beyond anything that the owners expect.

As I was talking with my customer (the owner of the dog kennel) I watched peopel drive up to drop off thier dogs. Those dogs were so excited to get out of the car and get into the day care. They loved it! He had a play area with real grass and another with artificial grass. He had a groomer on site and had good food for them also. There is a lot more that he had there but I am jsut trying to point out a few things to get the point across. He charged a lot more than other places and people still showed up.

There are some people that can't afford the higher price... but there are many who can. Those that can't afford the price go down the street and get a place to watch the dog that is struggling. The people that can afford his place... know that their dog is well taken care of and happy.

I am usually 3 or 4 times more expensive than any of my competition. But, what the customer ends up with is a product that is light years ahead of what my competition can give. They are at the customers house for a couple of hours and I am there for 6 to 8. But, I am not just slower at what I do... I am the best. I leave a lot of business on the table because I have set my prices so high... but I can take the time to do a great job when I am getting paid more. And, the customer gets a job that is seriously 10 times better than anything else.

So... decide who you want to cater to. If it is the low price shopper.. then do what you can to get by. If it is the high end customer... then you can build your business (probably slowly) by attracting them. Word will get out that you are expensive but that you are the best. And... it is much better to be the best than just another place for people to drop off their dogs.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Something else that you can possibly offer is some obedience training. Offer other services and once people start taking their dogs there to either get groomed or trained... they will know that you are there and will already be familiar with you.

Again, good luck.

Jeff
Night Sky Murals
The Best Universe on Planet EArth!
http://NightSkyMurals.com

coachmaureenSat Mar-17-07 08:07 AM

#7. "RE: looking for help"
In response to Reply # 0

HI Jacque
Way to go welcome to the next level of business. I just said no to a client of ten years because I would not work on Fridays but at this time my bus is growing and I can do that. Thing for me is I also notice that since my bus is growing and I am now starting to coach in small bus zones I have to figure out a way to stay in business and meet my growing client needs until I hit that peak that I have hit before as I was growing.
So not I am going to start offering two evenings a month that I will work later because it fits into my plan off growing my bus.That way anyone who needs to come after work hours can and I can meet there needs. Maybe you could offer one day start late end later for people who can't pick up at your earlier preferred time and or tell people if they pick up past as certain time there will be an added charged?

Sounds like you have a few things going on around your bus
I am a small bus coach and your making me think I need try and help people like you in some way.
Anyway hope that helps.
Coachmaureen

TheMerryBirdThu Mar-22-07 09:31 AM

#8. "RE: looking for help"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like you're overwhelmed. Do you have a business plan? What is it? Maybe you should charge your clients more per hour or more then you already charge.

How about making your clients realize that your business hours are from 6:30 - 7 ONLY by contract. If you wish to make them happy by accepting the dogs earlier or by keeping them later, then CHARGE THEM for YOUR TIME! Don't be a push over!

Marketing can be done anywhere and anytime. So Where ever you go you can pass out business cards. While walking the dogs at the park or dog park, going to the doggy vet, doggy bath, doggy shelters or store for dog food you can find people or places to leave your card. ASK FOR REFERRALS from your present clients! Those are your nuggets of gold! Take a dog for a walk past the library and post a flyer there, post at the supermarket, post online on a town website, put sign on your back!.

You got it moving so don't let your momentum drop! 16 dogs sound like a hek of alot! (hire a mini-me! for extra cash!)

Good Luck

Kristine Sheehan
The Merry Bird...pen,ink and design
http://www.themerrybird.com

Lobby The Daily Grind topic #57 Previous topic | Next topic