Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby The Daily Grind topic #200

Subject: "signed a noncompete form" Previous topic | Next topic
lisamarieThu Aug-21-08 08:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"signed a noncompete form"

ok,
my husband and i own our own business. have for over 10 years. my brother in law lost his job because the business closed down. we hired him on, thinking it would be temporary until he got himself another job. well, he was with us for over 6 years. we really didn't get along. he wanted to do things his way or no way at all. we were constantly butting heads he would get loud and unruley in front of other employees. i gave him several warnings... nothing worked. it seemed everytime we got into it and i let him go my husband was bringing him back..
when i hire my employees they have to sign a manual and they also have to sign a non compete form which is good for five years after termination of employment.
well, long story short. im a member of a website which markets companies like mine to mortgage companies. they post your company name, your name, address, phone numbers and website address if you have one.
i go on one day and see i have a few competitors out there and decide that i want to check them out, you can find out where they are located and what type of services they offer... i see one in particular and find that it is owned by the brother in laws wife that is still employed by me (mind you the wife has no title sense at all)... so i show it to my husband and he asked me "how did you find out?"... he knew all along. i instantly fire my brother in law and lay the law down to my husband and let him know that i don't appreciate the betrayal both from my husband and a business partner. he tells me that i will just have to get over it.

my brother in law decided to start his own business but to do it under his wifes name, so therefore avoiding the non compete form he so genersously signed when employed. he then goes and files for unemployment which you can imagine caused complete additude from me. my husband thought it was ok that he do this also. i of course called unemployment and let them know exactly what my brother in law was up to. they denied him... but then he hired an attorney and filed for motion. we were sepeoned to court... the company was anyway. i refused to go only because my husband wanted me to lie in court about the reason my brother in law was canned. he ended up collecting on my unemployment insurance for 6 months ($8000) worth. i also find out later that he was using my contractors to do his work while he was in my office. therefore im sure i paid thousands of dollars in fees so that he could run a semi successful office on the side. all the while he was getting a paycheck and helping my husband be decietful...

you should never hire family.. if they cant get hired by anyone else theres probably a reason and you don't want that monkey on your back.

lisamarie

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: signed a noncompete form
Aug 22nd 2008
Aug 25th 2008
Aug 25th 2008
Oct 13th 2008
Dec 21st 2016

BizsellerFri Aug-22-08 10:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: signed a noncompete form"
In response to Reply # 0

You should fire your husband. He should have been fiduciary to you.

PepperfireMon Aug-25-08 06:37 AM

#2. "RE: signed a noncompete form"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with Bizseller.

AFAIC, your first mistake was in going up against your husband when you found out what had happened. He was fine with the situation; why weren't you?

Your second mistake was in not going to court and telling the truth about why you fired your brother in law. If you were going to make the stand, why didn't you follow it through?

Your ongoing mistake is continuing to have your husband involved in your business.

I would be talking to a divorce lawyer if I were to learn that my husband's brother is more important to him than I am.

Your hubby's ONLY mistake was in doing anything behind your back.

You have bigger problems than simply hiring family; and from where I sit, they have entirely nothing to do with your business and everything to do with your marriage.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

SologrettoMon Aug-25-08 11:19 AM

#3. "RE: signed a noncompete form"
In response to Reply # 0

If I were in your case and what I heard was exactly what happened I would:

1) File for Divorce on irreconsilable differences. As for assets that's up to your and him, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't use the kids as a weapon... ...please.

2) Fire your husband from the company and anyone else who worked for your B-I-L knowingly.

3) Obtain a stop work court injunction for the brother in law's business for harming your company using insider information and company assets.

4) Sue the brother in law for every penny he earned as competition while working for you. Depending on the industry and the non-compete you might be able to get him for everything, but it's unlikely.

5) Accept that everyone you just fired, divorced and sued will hate you and speak badly about you. Whenever you are confronted regarding the situation all clients and associates should hear something like: "That is/was an ugly situation... 'I'm currenty working through it with them and the courts (or soon 'I'm glad it's over') and I want things to be positive moving forward. It wouldn't be right for me to say much as it reflects poorly on some people."

6) Accept that you will probably have a long term competitor in your ex-husband and brother-in-law who will take forever and a day to pay you back. Every time you take work out of their hands (through healthy competition) just grin and think of it as one more bit of revenge for what they put you through.

nightskyMon Oct-13-08 08:05 AM

#4. "RE: signed a noncompete form"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds to me like your husband has some major problems. The movie "Deliverence" came to mind (about him) when I read your story.

If you have an attorney... I hope that you have talked with him. If not, then you should at least get Pre Paid Legal. I have had them for 10 years and for $25 per month... they are one of the best buys I have for my business. I all them all the time to prevent problems and at times when I need advice to solve problems.

Look around... you should be able to find someone who sells it. If not... then I know of some.

Good luck!

Jeff S.
Night Sky Murals
Award Winning Murals

www.NightSkyMurals.com (Product)
www.DarkSkyMurals.biz (Business Opportunity)

Featured in...

* The Robb Report's "Luxury Homes" magazine -
* Angies List
* in Affluent
* HGTV's show - "I Want That"

artmuz76Wed Dec-21-16 02:51 AM

#5. "RE: signed a noncompete form"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm new and I'm interested in this topic. Thank you!

Lobby The Daily Grind topic #200 Previous topic | Next topic