Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby The Daily Grind topic #186

Subject: "Marketing and going out on a limb" Previous topic | Next topic
ispedSat Jun-14-08 04:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Marketing and going out on a limb"
Sat Jun-14-08 04:22 AM by isped

Well, I've just passed the two year mark in my business and although I see growth, it doesn't seem to be enough. The past month has been very slow and I know the summer will also be slow and then things will pick up in the fall. I've put ads in local papers to no avail and they aren't cheap. I'm considering going out on a limb.. I say this because I'm just managing to keep my bills paid monthly... maxing out my credit card with radio advertising. The best price rate is if I commit to one whole year, which I think would be best for my business as well. The station is a jazz station that demographically has the caliber of clients that I need. The question is... has anyone used radio advertising and what are your thoughts?

http://www.bodyfood.ca

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Marketing and going out on a limb
Jun 17th 2008
Jun 18th 2008
Jul 23rd 2008
Aug 11th 2008
Aug 30th 2008

saltedTue Jun-17-08 04:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Marketing and going out on a limb"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't personally done radio advertising, so I would be interested to know how beneficial it actually is.

You may also want to consider joining a business networking group. I attended a BNI (business network international) meeting this past week and was very impressed with what seems to be a constant flow of referrals being passed around to the members in the group. There was someone in my group that did a similar business to yours and it seemed like she was benefiting greatly from being part of the group. Even if you don't want to foot the bill of 433 dollars for the first year, you can still check out a meeting up to 2 times before you have to pay. Their website is http://bni.com/ if you wanna check it out. Our business is in a bit of a dip, too so I was trying to think of ways to bring people in and this is something I'm gonna do and see how it works.

Mindy Lepp
http://www.saltedwebsites.com/
$50 off your website if you mention Idea Cafe!!

PepperfireWed Jun-18-08 05:45 AM

#2. "RE: Marketing and going out on a limb"
In response to Reply # 1

BNI is a great idea, but your expense it is not only the intial annual fee. It also includes the gas to get to the venue every week and the weekly fee.

I am about to join my local BNI but for the price, figure $500, plus $20 per week, it's actually closer to $1500 a year.

That said, you CANNOT miss any meetings either... If you can't attend personally, you are expected to send a representative... That will cost you as if you were there.

BNI is great, if you can budget the $1500 per year into the group.

Also, I've been looking for a BNI group that FITS me, and I've had to attend several until I found this one that I like. So try on several different groups for size to find one that you feel comfortable in and one that works for you as well.

BNI protects you within the group, so you will never have anyone in your field competing for your services like you would in a chamber of commerce, and like any other networking group, you have to work it for it have value. So, choose carefully.

IMNHO, there are lots of less expensive networking groups that are more suitable until you are in the financial position to justify a $1500 per year marketing expense.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

lynn0093Wed Jul-23-08 11:22 AM

#3. "RE: Marketing and going out on a limb"
In response to Reply # 0

This past Christmas we advertised on cable -- HGTV and Food Network because we thought these stations fit in with our target audience...a few spots didn't run and were aired on stations we would never have chosen (USA and TLC)...the only people who commented on the commercial saw the spots on the stations we didn't choose -- kind of frustrating!!!! We decided against radio -- mainly due to our location, we're a ways out of town and would need to spend several precious costly seconds giving address info, which people aren't too likely to write down if they are driving in the car or hear the ad in a dr's office, etc. Also, XM, Sirius and iPods are gaining in popularity so I would grill your sales rep on listenership, etc. Does the jazz station own another stations? If so, can you split up your contract with other stations or media outlets owned by the parent company if you do not start hearing feedback within a few months???

potpourriMon Aug-11-08 03:47 PM

#4. "RE: Marketing and going out on a limb"
In response to Reply # 0

I took a look at your website to get an idea of what type of business you have. If you are trying to get local walk in customers via radio ads, the only suggestion I have is to be sure it offers something your customer can use, a reason for them to come in to your store. As for me, I have never used radio but I can only recall a couple of ads.

Ocha

blog: http://www.potpourriemporium.com/blog

gjabizSat Aug-30-08 06:41 AM

#5. "RE: Marketing and going out on a limb"
In response to Reply # 0

How much will that one year contract cost you?

Figure that as your advertising expense for the year. Now, how many radio stations in your area are involved in charitable works?

How many give away prizes to their listeners?

You have some great products. Why not give one of your gift baskets to the radio station to use as a giveaway?

Why not donate a couple of gift baskets to the local Goodwill, Red Cross, Church group, whatever...for them to use as part of their fundraising efforts.

How about putting one on display in your local hospital gift shop, where people would be likely to see it and perhaps buy it for their sick loved one?

How about offering it to local "health" food stores, or healthy restaurants, or fitness clubs to offer to their members, either as gifts, or as part of a display in their locations.

Yes, I've used radio, and it can be profitable, but it is my opinion, unless you know what you are doing, the money you would spend for a year with ONE radio station, would be much better spent, by doing some things that will get you some free publicity, some free raido mentions and some locations where you can get established in.

You have beautiful products. You have nice gift baskets, wrap it up, and make it seasonal...red and green paper for Christmastime, Bunnies and/or crosses for Easter. Green on ST. Pats day, see?

For what it is worth, I think you can spend that Radio money on promotions that will bring you in more business.

Also, I hope you have a customer contact method in place, and if so, how often do you alert them to specials, or offer a "gift" for a new customer?

Good luck, next time in Toronto, I'll stop in. (My brother-in-law used to work for the Blue Jays and he lived in Mississauga, you have a great place to expand your business for low cost efforts, use them).

gjabiz

Lobby The Daily Grind topic #186 Previous topic | Next topic