Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameStartup Stew
Topic subjectOnline art gallery or not?
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=119&topic_id=433
433, Online art gallery or not?
Posted by fishrang, Thu Feb-22-07 04:27 PM
Hi folks! I seen on another forum the other day, this young lady had started a forum for artists to post thier work. The only thing is, she's only featuring one artist every three weeks. Man that's got to be a long waiting list.
I have a domain name called next2reality.com that I am doing absolutely nothing with at the moment. I was thinking of using it to make a web site for artists to display thier work. Possibly have a free account and also a paid account. Obviously the paid account would offer more benefits.
Here is my question: Do any of you think the name next2reality.com would make a good name for web site devoted to artists? Do you think the idea could be sucessful? or should I just scrap the idea? My daughter who is an artist (you can see some of her work at http://www.clearwillow.com)says she thinks it would be a great idea. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks
435, RE: Online art gallery or not?
Posted by ElleBlue, Fri Feb-23-07 03:34 PM
I think it is really a great idea, but I'm afraid it is a must to change your domain name. The name you have has nothing to do with art and if someone forgets your name, then they will never be able to find you. Some names that come to mind are:

Fine Art Forum or Artist's Forum (Don't use Art Forum. It is already the name of an existing magazine and I'm sure their domain name is Art Forum or something close to it. Then you'd have to be Art Forum 123 or 2007. Numbers placed after the name are never a good idea, because people never seem to remember numbers).

Art on line also could be good. It could be artonline.com
Art dealer (artdealer.com)
Art showcase (artshowcase.com)
Art Mart (artmart.com)
talent mart (talentmart.com)
Online Gallery (onlinegallery.com)
Gallery on line (galleryonline.com)

You can make money one of two ways.
Either charge the artists anywhere from $25.00 to $100.00 for "gallery space". For $25.00 you could display 1 to 3 works of art. For $100.00, you can show 6-10 pieces.

Or you could collect a 10% to 15% commission on anything they sell through your website.

Or you could do both, if you're feel really entrepreneural.

Hope I was of help. Let me know how things progress!
:-)
439, RE: Online art gallery or not?
Posted by fishrang, Sat Feb-24-07 04:11 PM
Thanks for feedback Elle. I think you are right about changing the name. The idea of an online art gallery is good, it just needs a different name. Like those you suggested, which by the way, I liked very much. Thank you.
I think all of the ARTS need to be more supported, whether it is drawing, painting, music, theater, photography, all of the ARTS. That is why I thought about the online art gallery.

Thanks again Elle
449, RE: Online art gallery or not?
Posted by ElleBlue, Tue Feb-27-07 06:46 PM
Hi. Sorry I haven't been on this board in awhile. I forgot to mention, your daughter is a very talented artist. My brother is a fine artist too. He is a painter and I am designing his website right now.

Anyway if you have anymore questions, let me know, and I'll see if I can help.