Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameStartup Stew
Topic subjectRE: feeling stuck in start up and need help
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=119&topic_id=1808&mesg_id=1893
1893, RE: feeling stuck in start up and need help
Posted by nightsky, Thu Aug-27-09 10:37 AM
I agree... and should have mentioned that first, before I mentioned everything else. First... get out and get in front of people. Get face to face. A couple things will happen... you will see that the people love your product, or they won't.

You will also see how people react to the product and price. If they flinch... that isn't always bad. Don't immediately start dropping your price. You just haven't done a good enough job of selling the product (unless you think that your product is better than it really is... in which case you need to rethink a few things). Do a little more selling of the product. If you still find that people love your product, but just aren't buying because they
feel that it is overpriced... then you can start to adjust your price until you start to make sales.

So, door to door may be the way that you want to start doing things anyway. You want to get out and get a feel for customer's reactions. Then, once you have money coming in... put it all (or whatever you can afford) back into your business. Have a list of things that you want done. I would go for the website (a nice site that a professional makes for you) first. Then the business cards. That way, once your site is ready to go, you can print the address on the bus. cards.

If you have a good site, you can do everything after it's built to get people there. Let your site do the selling (if you don't plan to be in front of people).

My marketing guys explained it this way to me (because I was doing it all wrong about 10 years ago). They said that you want your card and/or brochure to be great first impression items. The business card gets them to look at the brochure and the brochure gets the customer to go to the website... and the website tells the story. Have each piece build on the previous one... but each one is also designed to stand on it's own if needed.

So, make your list and then once you have the money coming in... you can start adding those to your marketing mix.

Jeff S.
Night Sky Murals
Award Winning Murals

www.NightSkyMurals.com (Product)
www.DarkSkyMurals.biz (Business Opportunity)

Featured in...

* The Robb Report's "Luxury Homes" magazine -
* Angies List
* in Affluent
* HGTV's show - "I Want That"