Print this page | Go back to previous topic
Forum nameStartup Stew
Topic subjectRE: Starting my own bookkeeping bussiness
Topic URLhttps://www.businessownersideacafe.com/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=119&topic_id=129&mesg_id=239
239, RE: Starting my own bookkeeping bussiness
Posted by FlemmingBizServ, Thu Nov-23-06 07:08 AM
Let's start with equipment. You can use the computer and printer set-up you currently have. I started 12 years ago with the equipment I already had. Since then I have upgraded several times and currently use a laptop and inkjet printer.

When I started I used QuickBooks Pro (for accounting software). I still use QB but I also use Peachtree and Netledger. For taxes I use ProSeries (by Intuit). You will need to try out the programs (if you haven't alread) and decided what you like to work with.

As far as services, start with what you know best. It's easier to market your current experience and expertise. You can then begin adding services as clients ask for new things. I started with setting up and maintaining books as well as tax prep for small businesses. I know offer Corp set-up with federal and state agencies, payroll (regular, prevailing wage and union), and tax planning. I have tried offering collection services(didn't like it) and business plans (too much time involved). Concentrate on what you really like to do, otherwise, you will get overwhelmed and start hating the business.

A fee structure will be dependent upon what your local area will support. This will take some research. What are bookkeepers in your area charging? You will also need to decide what your time is worth. I started out charging by the hour but found that I spent more time tracking my time than actually working. Now I charge by the month based upon the services the client has requested and how much time I think it's going to take to accomplish the tasks (I always build in a little extra time for unexpected complications). I bill and have clients pay in advance for my time. That way I don't work without pay and can count on the money each month.

Decide who you want to work with. When you are in business for yourself you don't have to work with people you don't like. Decide ahead of time who your idea client is. It may be tough to turn down work when you are starting out but it will be worth it down the road. I have turned down work because I didn't like a client's policies or way of doing business, I have also fired clients because of their attitude or ego were too outrageous.

Feel Free to post additional questions. I am happy to help.

Suzette
FlemmingBusinessServices.com